For Hometown News
ST. LUCIE COUNTY --
The TD Charitable Foundation donated a total of $10,000 to the Early Learning Coalition of St. Lucie County as part of the bank's commitment to giving back to the community.
The Early Learning Coalition of St. Lucie County is a nonprofit organization offering child care resource and referral services; the school readiness program; the voluntary prekindergarten program and the father and child connection program.
Together, these programs served more than 20,000 local families in fiscal year 2011-12.
CCR&R Specialists refer an average of 200 callers per day to childcare providers and community services. The SR and VPK programs provide high-quality early childhood education in order to prepare children for kindergarten and beyond.
The father and child connection program educates fathers and male role models about the skills needed to fulfill their responsibilities to their children.
Coalition programs are presented in partnership with the Children's Services Council of St. Lucie County and the coalition is a United Way of St. Lucie County member agency.
The funds from the TD Charitable Foundation will be used to cover the cost of children from low-income families participating in the school readiness program. They will be applied to the 6 percent local match mandated by the federal child care development fund block grant.
The coalition must secure the 6 percent local match in order to draw down the remaining 94 percent from federal and state funds.
For more information on the TD Charitable Foundation, including an online grant application, visit www.TDBank.com.