Home Classifieds Work For Us Rack Locations Order Photos Contact Us Advertising Info Featured Advertisers

Click here to read
the latest issue

Browse Sections:

News
Forever Young
Classifieds
Community
Advertisers
Election
Rants & Raves
Sports
Crime Report
Opinion
Calendar of Events
Entertainment
Dining Guide
Special Section Publications
Business & Finance
Business Columns
Star Scopes
Computer/Technology
Cooking/Food
Counseling/Advice
Family Issues
Fishing
Gardening
Travel
Golf
Pets
Religion
Columnist Archives
Crossword Puzzle
Jail Court Live Web Cams

Weather Cams:

Now browsing: Hometown News > News > Martin County

Firefighters injured while battling blaze
Rating: 1.8 / 5 (20 votes)  
Posted: 2013 Jan 04 - 06:48

By Samantha Joseph

Staff writer

STUART -- A 22-year-old firefighter sustained major injuries while fighting an early morning fire in Stuart.

Firefighter EMT Jahwann McIntyre and his colleagues were fighting a blaze at 1151 SW Bluewater Way, just after 2 a.m. on Dec. 27.

Children's toys, garbage containers, dishes in the sink and several other signs indicated the house was occupied, so a team of firefighters worked on extinguishing the flames, while another went into the house to rescue residents.

"We had reason to believe at 2:30 in the morning that there were children and other people in the home," said Bureau Chief Bill Schobel. "They were doing what they were trained to do, which is save lives."

Martin County Fire Rescue officials said crews started searching for victims amid heavy smoke conditions, which rapidly escalated and put the team in harm's way.

"They made their way upstairs, where they encountered a lot of heat," Mr. Schobel said. "That's where the injury occurred."

Their colleagues rescued the injured firefighters.

Three firefighters sustained injuries. Rescuers treated one for minor injuries, while a second firefighter was taken to the hospital for additional care.

Mr. McIntyre, however, sustained the most serious injuries. Rescuers flew him by LifeStar to the Jackson Memorial Burn Unit in Miami, where he remained in critical condition at press time

"We're all awaiting updates, and just keeping him and his family in our prayers," Mr. Schobel said.

Mr. McIntyre has worked with Martin County Fire Rescue for about a year, Mr. Schobel said.

The crew later learned the house was in foreclosure and its residents are in the process of moving out. One unconfirmed report indicated someone broke into the house to try to stay warm during the Christmas cold front.

The Florida state fire marshal was investigating the incident at press time.




Comments powered by Disqus
Can't see the comments?
Read more News stories from the Martin County community newspaper...

Make this site your Homepage e-mail us

Legal Notices




Join our Mailing List:


Crossword Puzzle:

Archives Calendar:

« Apr, 2014 »
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30

Search Stories:




.